Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Best Relationships are NOT 50/50

Yes, I meant to say exactly that. It is in fact, my humble opinion that the most successful relationships are not 50/50 in terms of giving. No matter what type of relationship it is--whether it's business, a friendship or a romantic relationship, the 50/50 concept doesn't work for me. You see, it's my belief that for a relationship to work between two people that both of them must give it their ALL. That means relationships are 100/100. The two people together now make MORE in terms of value than the sum of their values individually...if the relationship is handled in that way. Look at it this way--if you're not doing your best in the relationship, then it will never be as good as it could be and you only have yourself to blame. All situations in life are limited only by the effort we ourselves put forth, and this applies especially well to relationships.

Another thing I have a problem with, specifically when it comes to romantic relationships, is the idea that we find a person to "complete us". How come we're not already complete? How come we aren't looking for someone wonderful to share our already wonderful lives with so that the life is even more wonderful? We shouldn't look for other people to make us happy, because that will never work. I've heard it said that happiness is an "inside job" and I agree with that. One has to find happiness inside himself, and then go share that happiness with the world. One has to learn to love herself, and then go share that love with the world. Learn to do this, and all of your relationships will be wonderful. All of them will just seem to effortlessly work and add to your happiness. Then it becomes easier to find the pleasure we're looking for in the relationship, because the happiness has already been taken care of within ourselves. Now I certainly don't claim to be a relationship expert by any standard, but I've been in a few (some very good and some very bad), and I've noticed that they've all improved drastically one way or another now that I understand what I'm sharing with you. Talk to you soon...

No comments: